Thursday, March 17, 2011

Memories

I don't know who drew these at Lindsay's school...
...or even if I've shared this story before. I don't even know that my parents are aware of this story since it didn't impact me directly.

At the high school I went to, there was the tradition of the senior prank. One year, the senior class checked out all the books from the library. Another year, they turned all the desks upside down. My class drew chalk outlines. The concept had started out as Simon from the Land of Chalk Drawings, which was being parodied at the time on SNL by Mike Myers, but ended up more like some sort of grisly crime had taken place at Conard High. The group of girls responsible were friends, though not people I hung out with by the time we got to senior year. All 8 of them were in the top of the class...all of them were suspended because of the "violent nature" of the prank...it was rumored anyway that they might not be able to walk at graduation.

Still, when I see chalk outlines, that's all I can think about - this zero-tolerance policy. And these girls who were smart, funny people who did a silly prank that became darker than they'd intended.

1 comment:

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

No I was not aware of this. You may be grounded for not telling me earlier...