Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Things with a very high Eww factor

I had said to a friend yesterday that I really need to blog about something besides Lauren's school and church. Today is not the day to start that.

A friend of mine called me yesterday. "Do you know where you can bring kids to get them deloused?"

I took a deep breath. Before I could even answer I realized I was scratching at my scalp because just the mention of lice makes me itchy. And it's a kid Lauren plays with a lot - they were at Katie's birthday together on Saturday night watching a movie. Oh gosh, were they sitting next to each other? Touching heads? Eww!

"No," I replied. "You really need to call a townie for that," and I suggested a mutual friend who might know.

When Lauren came home I grilled her about whether the nurse had done a scalp check. She looked annoyed, "No. She measured us and checked our hearing."

I carefully looked at her head. No bugs.

I told Alec this morning while he was getting dressed. "Ew. Don't get near anyone's head. No hugging."

"Why?" Lauren demanded.

"Lice are worse than fleas. They lay eggs on your head."

Lauren, who has a fascination with bugs, blood, boogers, and all things icky, replied, "That is the grossest thing you've ever said."

3 comments:

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

I'm with her. Yuk.

karen said...

In my town, the overachiever parents throw head-check parties where you go over to have some expert check your head and the heads of all your progeny and then instruct you what to do if nits are found. We never go - I just tell the kids not to share hats or combs with anyone and threaten to shave their heads if they come home scratching.

P.S. Now you have me scratching my head! Eeeeew.

Chaotic Joy said...

I agree. And we've been through the lice thing a couple times with each older kid. It's a rite of passage I am afraid. But as to somewhere you can go to get deloused? You'll have to let me know if you find out the answer to that.