Friday, March 24, 2006

Arguing with doctors

My daughter proved once again that she is compelled to argue for the sake of arguing...she particularly likes to argue with doctors.

Example one: Getting a Sonogram

At 20 weeks, my husband and I took my daughter to the big reveal sonogram. When the radiologist declared she was 90% certain that the baby is a girl. She piped up, "No, it's not."

The radiologist said, "Yes. Yes, I am pretty sure that's a girl."

"You're wrong," my daughter replied.

"How do you know?" the radiologist asked.

"He's wearing a hat."

Example two: At the allergist

"Is it okay if I listen to your heart?"

"No."

"Can I look in your ears?"

"Ew. No!"

Example three: At the obstetrician

So today, dear friends, I needed to get my Rhogam shot at the obstetrician's office. He was filing out the paperwork in triplicate required in response to administering the drug, which apparently needed the test date and form number for the bloodwork that showed I am rH negative. When he flipped through my chart, he noticed that my glucose tolerance test numbers were either (apparently this was submitted in 2 tubes) 2 marks below the cut off for "normal" or 5 marks above the cut off for "normal". He decided he wants me to go to the lab for additional testing, though he thinks it was probably something I ate that interfered with the test.

My daughter spent the entire ride to the doctor's office determined that she would tell him that the Glucola was yucky and I should NOT have to drink that again. So after this rather lengthy explanation on his part about ranges of normal, she said, "Are you the one who made Mommy drink the Yuck?"

He looked at me, unsure what this meant.

"Yes, honey." I said. "And now he is saying Mommy has to have more of the Yuck."

"Well," she put her hands on her hips, "He's wrong."

He stifled a snicker. And focused on whatever he was writing.

"Well," I said, "He's the doctor. So even if you think he's wrong, he wins."

He looked over my daughter's head to shoot me a look, eyebrows raised.

"Oh. He's still wrong," she said resolutely. She looked at him and shook her head, as though she couldn't quite believe it.

No comments: