Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Friendly traditions

With my husband out of town in his marathon of travel this week and next, I decided to take my daughter to the Friendly's Restaurant. I ordered clam chowder and a sandwich, and she ordered chicken tenders and an ice cream cone.

While we waited for dinner, we colored with the four crayons they always give you at diners: red, yellow, green, and blue. Unlike the Edison Diner, these crayons didn't have the colors written in both English and Spanish. My daughter drew a sad face, and said it was her Daddy, and he was sad because he wasn't with her and wasn't getting ice cream because he didn't eat all of his dinner. She colored two eyes, nose, mouth, beard, mustache all in blue, and gave him green hair. His frown extended outside the outline of his face. Looking at the picture, she pouted herself and announced that she missed Daddy and doesn't like when he travels.

"Me neither," I replied.

"Don't be sad, Mom. Daddy said he will be home for dinner tomorrow night." she put her hand over mine.

"Well, ok. That makes me feel better."

"Me too," she said. "But he still can't have any ice cream." She made a stern face.

No comments: