Saturday, March 25, 2006

Talking out of her butt

My daughter has been having potty accidents lately. It makes sense, to me anyway, that this sort of thing just happens that a 3 1/2 year old kid gets distracted...and probably also, when you're a 3 1/2 year old only child who is going to have a new little baby sister at some point in the near future, you might get distracted.

My husband and I have tried not to make a very big deal about it, but the net result is that we often ask these days if she has to use the bathroom if we notice that she hasn't in a while. She reacts with some irritation because she feels this detail is under her control and we're just pestering her.

So it is, once again Play All Day day. And my husband got up for the early shift this morning after my daughter bounced into our bedroom.

His first question, "Do you have to go to the bathroom?"

She gave him a funny look. "Let me ask my butt." Brief pause. "My butt says no." With that she went bounding out of our room, and back to hers.

I rolled over. "She needs to talk to her butt in private now?"

My husband laughed. "It looks like it."

About ten minutes later, she returned. "My belly says, 'Where's my breakfast?'"

"Ok," my husband replied. "Let's go brush your teeth."

"Ok," she skipped into the bathroom and turned on the faucet.

No comments: