Friday, January 12, 2007

Her friend Martin

In the school yard, waiting for her teacher...

"My friend Martin's birthday is on Monday." Lauren announced.

I puzzled this for a moment. There isn't a Martin in her class. "Martin who?"

"Martin Luther King." she replied.

"Oh yes, his birthday is Monday." I said.

"Do you think I will get to have some of his birthday cake?"

"Well," I said. "Honey, Martin Luther King is dead."

"He is?"

"Yep. Since before I was born."

"Really?! How did he die?"

I paused a moment, trying to think of a good answer. Finally I said, "He was assassinated."

"Oh. Ok." she said. "Do you think he's buried underground?"

"Uh. I don't know, honey. Probably."

With this, she ran up to a boy in her class. "Hey, Miles? Do you know that Martin Luther King is dead?! He was assassinated and is probably buried underground!" she announced.

"Oh." said Miles. "That's cool, I guess."

6 comments:

Mimi Lenox said...

Too cute!

Delphi said...

In fact, he is in a crypt in Atlanta. A memorial park was built around it.

Navilyn said...

I'm speechless; but loving it...

Epiphany Alone said...

@Delphi: thank you. I told her, and now, she would like to go to Atlanta to see it.

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

I see dead people.

Kicking N. Screaming said...

The city of Atlanta (with big thanks to Sistah Mayor Shirley Franklin) has just acquired his papers as well. There's a display of them at the Atlanta History Center that opened on his birthday. So come on down!