Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

On September 10, 2002, I became a mom. The process was nothing like the plan I'd carefully written in the back of my journal in elegant, looped cursive. It was probably that day that I realized that I could no longer meticulously plan things out. And eventually, I let it go. OK, I am letting go. OK. I do better at letting go some days than others.

I knew back then that pushing a couple of babies out high on an epidural wasn't going to be the hardest thing I'd have to do for them. Some days that's a pretty terrifying thought. My mom was there in the delivery room the day I had Lauren. Was that the hardest thing she had to do for me? I'm sure not. I'd probably venture a guess it's not even in her top 10 hardest things...

I hope what I am teaching my girls is that the best things in life are often hard, but worth it, because parenthood is definitely one of those things.

No comments: