Sunday, May 27, 2007

Mommy Driveby

I joined the municipal pool in a neighboring town for the summer. I had not planned well for the first day out there and spent more of the day out in the hot sun than was reasonable. Fortunately, the pool has a concession stand. Lauren chose a hot dog and I ordered a tuna melt and a bottle of water to share. Both sandwiches came with a bag of chips and a pickle.

We sat at a picnic table with our friends, and I fed Lindsay bite-sized pieces of the tuna melt. She is a big fan of grilled cheese, so she ate most of my sandwich, a few chips, and about half of the pickle spear.

She was sitting next to a baby, also eating his lunch in his stroller. He was quite a bit bigger than Lindsay, and struggling to eat baby food off of a spoon offered by his dad. I would guess he was probably about 8 or 9 months old. Lindsay grinned when they made eye contact and waved her food-filled fist at him.

The mom gasped. "Oh my God...are you feeding your baby a cheeseburger?"

"No. It's a tuna melt." I replied. "She likes cheeseburgers too though."

She blinked at me. "How old is your baby?" She demanded.

"Lindsay is just over a year." I replied.

She sighed in relief. "Oh. I thought they were the same age..."

They left very soon after that.

3 comments:

Mimi Lenox said...

Some people are so rude.

karen said...

What do you suppose she'd have said if you'd been letting Lin have peanut butter?

Anonymous said...

Loved this post! I'm quite tall and so is my kid's father, so all my babies have been HUGE. I got so many rude comments by people thinking my one-year-old was really 3-years-old and so on.

By the way I'm here via Mimi's blog. You have wonderfully written blog here!