Wednesday, December 03, 2008

My inner martyr is out to get me

I took the title from Rose's comment because it made me laugh out loud. It is a bit painfully true.

The tree toppled in the middle of the night on its own, so we were awakened at 3:30 AM to a huge crash and then had to deal with fallen ornaments and broken glass. Parenting sort of prepares you for dealing with stuff while mostly asleep. I think I basically hung all the ornaments I picked up in the same part of the tree because even distribution was too hard to contemplate. Alec is much better at dealing with stuff at random times - it is probably among the reasons he can cross 6 time zones twice in a 48 hour period and seem fine - and swept up all the pieces of cookie and shards of glass. Since he was going to have to get up at 4 AM anyway to make his flight this morning, he didn't come back to bed. I struggled to fall back asleep and then to wake up at 7 AM.

On top of it, Lindsay is a shrieking little tantruming shrew today. I had thought about going to Target and the grocery store this morning, but only made it about halfway through the Target list when I had to head home with little miss "I want a cookie". I think both of us need a nap if we're going to make it through today.

2 comments:

Rosemoo said...

Evil tree. Maybe you should leave the glass and cookies for something else. Like small non crashable trees. We'll find you soft things to put on the tree that won't explode into tiny death stars upon contact with the floor.

Just a thought.

moo

The Plaid Sheep said...

After the dog knocked our tree down one year we started tying it to the wall. You just need an eye hook and some twine.