Thursday, April 06, 2006

Fast facts

While we were waiting for the ultrasound today, my daughter and I played Crazy Eights. When she dropped a card under the chair between us we were using as a table, she wiggled on her belly on the floor to get underneath it. She looked up at the Pakistani man sitting next to her and said, "Look, I'm an anaconda! I live in the Amazon."

During the ultrasound itself, she argued with the intern technician when she told my daughter that we were looking at her little sister's belly. "No, that's her shoulder." A few minutes later, the intern was corrected by her technician that she was looking at a posterior view. Then, the technician listened to a heartbeat.

"That's Mommy's heart," she said.

"Oh, I think they are listening to the baby's heart," I said.

"Nope," she said.

The technician interjected, "Actually, she's right. It is your heartbeat...we're assessing the bloodflow to your ovary."

Wow. Snap, as the kids say...

This evening, after her bath, my daughter cuddled in her towel with me on my bed while I dried her off before we put on her jammies. She took one of my pillows, and put it on her back. "I'm a turtle," she said. She folded her arms and legs under the pillow. "Turtles hide inside their protective shell when scary animals are on the prowl."

Seriously. I am not making this up. I don't even know where she's getting all these factoids...maybe Diego the animal rescuer tells her about the anaconda and turtle, but I defy you to point out a cartoon about ultrasound interpretation for the preschool set.

Honey...maybe we ought to reassess how we're investing that 529 money. Maybe it doesn't matter? Don't radiologists make good money?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Radiologists do ok. Perhaps you and yours can do a wine tasting course with the 529 funds? :) As for ultrasound interpretation, my vote is not on early knowledge of radiology so much as sibling connection. She was probably tuned into, "Ow! watch where you're poking that thing!" and, "Hey! My shoulder!"