Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Clipped wings

My daughter had an impromptu playdate yesterday. Contractions somewhere around 8-12 minutes that wouldn't go away with the warm bath/ drinking water combination led to a call to the doc, and Karen and Chris came to save the day. Karen took me to see the doc while Chris and son entertained my daughter, and took her to McDonalds for a Happy Meal, because as Karen says, if you're going out around lunch, you really need fries.

The doc pronounced I am now too prepared for labor to travel 250 miles to Haverhill for the wedding. Yeah, I know Haverhill is underwater right now...I'm sure Joyce (mother of the bride) has already ordered black tie snorkel and swimfins. If trying to find ivory toddler shoes is hard, y'oughta see what a pain in the rump getting an ivory snorkel is. And before you ask, I am sure swimfins are rated for mucking in sewage (seriously, that was the news headline out of Haverhill this morning that if you're trying to pump your basement, there have been problems with seepage from the city sewers and you should wear protective gear).

My daughter is getting picked up today by my mom for the wedding. She is an enthusiastic flower girl, and wanted to know if she can wear her dress today for (shouted at full voice) BEN'S WEDDING. She's very also excited to spend some time with her grandparents, her great-grandmother, and her uncles and aunts. But even better...oh and this is just exciting enough to make a 3 1/2 year old girl bounce on her bed...there's a big party with dancing after the wedding and, get this, CAKE!! A huge cake! "Well," she said thoughtfully, "you really need to have cake at a party."

No comments: